SPLENDID SURFACES – POTTERS COUNCIL CONFERENCE
September 17-19, 2010
Hosted by AMACO/Brent and Potters Council
Register Before July 4 and Save $50!
Put New Life in Your Surfaces!
The SPLENDID SURFACES Conference brings together an amazing group of ceramic artists to demonstrate, share ideas and answer any questions you have. Discover how each presenter uses the clay as their canvas, creating lush surfaces so inspiring you will rush home to your studio with fresh ideas. If you’re looking to add to your repertoire of surface techniques, then this is the conference for you.
Explore techniques shared by Melisa Cadel, Molly Hatch and Tom Meuninck. During their three-hour presentations. You’ll have time to experiment with the techniques and ask questions. Go here to learn more about these hands-on opportunities.
Here’s a sampling of what you’ll do . . .
- Examine the teapot form in detail with reference to the perspective of proportions.
- Develop skills in handling clay and gain a sense of craftsmanship and improved visual creative skills.
- Learn a spray gun and brush layering technique to achieve jewel tone and other surface effects.
- See a demonstration of tool making and how to make a cane handle.
- Discuss networking, pricing and presentational aspects that can help assure your success.
- Gain a working knowledge of mishima, sgraffito, sprig molds, slip trailing, and shellac relief.
- Use the clay as canvas by drawing and painting with semi-moist underglaze decorating colors, underglaze decorating pencils and underglaze chalk crayons.
- Incorporate print transfer techniques like water-slide decals, silk-screening and block-printing images onto clay.
- Explore the use of inlaying metal and fiberglass in the surface of the clay body for unusual effects.
Get the Inside Scoop
All the experts from AMACO/Brent will be on hand to discuss any of their hundreds of materials and tools used in ceramics. They’ll provide guides for experimentation, troubleshooting and interesting glazing techniques. Come prepared! This is your opportunity to ask the experts anything.
Friday Night Reception, Saturday and Sunday Presenter Demonstrations
Join us on Friday night for a reception in the spacious AMACO/Brent gallery. During Friday and/or Saturday morning registration you can select the sessions you’d like to attend over the two-day event. With four sessions, you’ll be able to see four of the six presenters — so plan ahead!
Register today for SPLENDID SURFACES